Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rwanda

The definition of genocide is the deliberate killing of a whole nation or people. According to the interview of Mark Dolye, the war in Rwanda was different from other wars. He said the war was just a tribal war, but scale of the killing was just unbelievable
He also mentioned “I didn't use the word "genocide" for several weeks, because I didn't have enough information to be able to say that.” But I think it was genocide because one tribal was killed by another.
This movie is about genocide in Rwanda. Also this movie is a true story. This movie affected me a lot. I’m thankful to God because I’m not an African. If I was born in African at that time, I couldn’t live anymore. I can’t understand Belgians. They only treated Tutsi well, because they look nobler than Hutu, so they got angry. If I’m Hutu, I will get angry too. But Hutu fought against Tutsi. I think it was wrong, because Hutu should fight against Belgians. Also Europeans had lots of faults. They pretended to help Tutsi, but they helped European heritages. Europeans thought that it wouldn’t be any help to them. They didn’t want to help them. I think Tutsi and Hutu are same people, so they should have the same rights. I’m very proud of Paul because he saved many Tutsi, sacrificing himself. If I was there, I would have helped Tutsi too, even though I am Hutu. I can learn lots of things. I was moved because this was a true story.
In the movie, there were some media to help or to give information. Radio was the most common media at that time. By the radio, Hutu communicated each other and gave information. Like the media in the movie, media is very important to give information or to communicate.

1 comment:

Ms. Lillo said...

I think it is important to point out that Rwanda is not ALL of Africa. But I agree that it is hard to imagine that if we had been born Tutsi in Rwanda, we would likely be dead right now. Keep thinking about these issues and putting yourself in other people's shoes!