Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I NEVER SAW A MOOR

I NEVER SAW A MOOR

BY. Emily Dickinson
I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.
I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given.
This poem says 'I' never saw a moor and the sea, but 'I' know ths heather looks, and a wave.
Like knowing this, 'I' also know God even 'I' never meet God and visit in heaven.
I think this poem is saying about we need belief like a child.
1. who is a speaker?
2.who is a listener?
3.what does this poem say?

2 comments:

P said...

That was an interesting poem! I agree with your response on the meaning of this poem.
1. I think the speaker is Dickinson herself because the poem feels more like a personal reflection of her feelings and beliefs.
2. I think her audience is meant to be everyone. Throughout this poem, Dickinson strengthens her religious foundations with both logic and trust. She probably wanted others to do the same: even if you did not actually see God, you should still believe in Him and trust in Him.
3. This poem probably means that just like how she knows moors, seas, heathers, and waves exist, Dickinson also believes that God exists although she never actually went to heaven to see Him. It shows the importance of having a strong faith in God.

Michael Kim said...

1. I think the speaker in this peom might be a person who has strong faith on religion (probably Christian), and some who got discouraged on his or her belief, but keeping the faith on god.
2. I can't really think the listener of this poem. Maybe it could be the speaker is saying to him or herself or to god.
3. Maybe the author is saying that people should keep their believes even they don't see any proofs that heaven or god is existing.